We are seeking an experienced Project Manager to help drive change in the construction industry, persuading clients to create a fairer, more inclusive workplace. The successful candidate will have strong organisational skills, be a self-starter who is process driven, and has the ability to engage and influence stakeholders to drive change.
If you share our passion for a more sustainable industry that is fairer and more inclusive for all, and can demonstrate that you are experienced in running a variety of engaging programmes, we would like to hear from you.
We encourage flexible working and as such, this role can be applied for as either a full-time or part-time role (equivalent to 3 days a week).
Background to the FIR Programme
The Fairness, Inclusion & Respect (FIR) Programme’s key objective is to raise awareness of the Fairness, Inclusion and Respect issues within the construction industry with the ultimate objective of making the industry a more attractive, diverse and welcoming place to work for all.
We started work on this programme in January 2015 with support of an Employer Leadership Group, including BAM Construct UK, Balfour Beatty, CECA, GRAHAM Construction, Osborne, Skanska and VINCI, working together with major infrastructure clients such as High Speed 2 Ltd, Highways England and Network Rail. Together we have developed and delivered a Toolkit of support, delivered workshops and events and begun to develop and support a network of FIR Ambassadors. This all aims to encourage a culture of Fairness, Inclusion and Respect (FIR) across the construction sector. We are currently in the second year of a 5-year programme that aims to reach 2,500 individuals and create a national network of 500 FIR Ambassadors to build an industry that is better for all.
The successful candidate for the role will manage the delivery of all aspects of the FIR programme and be responsible for delivery on time, to budget and to the desired quality standards off all aspects of the programme.
Main duties and responsibilities
The successful candidate for the post will be able to demonstrate the ability to manage a programme of activity with multiple elements and activities as well as experience of managing complex stakeholder relationships at a senior level.
Preferably with experience of managing training and event programmes.
You will have experience identifying and engaging with different stakeholders and stakeholder groups, assessing and addressing their views. You will be comfortable dealing with challenge and experienced in basing responses to challenge on facts rather than personal values.
Day to day you will manage and drive forward the FIR Programme against the KPIs and deliverables set out in the Business Plan. This is done by engaging with Action Sustainability colleagues, our FIR Employer Leadership Group and other programme and industry stakeholders to establish a consensus on topics and knowledge, interpreted into specific outputs such as learning development, employer engagement, training delivery and content management.
You will have line management responsibility for one Events & Marketing Officer and financial accountability for the programme.
- Being able to articulate the business case for equality, diversity and inclusion in construction and the objectives and activity of the FIR Programme (internally and at external speaking opportunities).
- Develop and deliver a marketing plan to engage individuals and businesses into the FIR network.
- Develop the FIR Ambassadors network, retaining engagement of 500+ members of this network and supporting its delivery.
- Organise 15 industry engagement events each year.
- Organise 20 training workshops annually.
- Create and manage a process to ensure that content on relevant sections of the FIR website and in our online resource library are constantly refreshed and up to date.
- Lead the development of training courses and e-learning as required by our Employer Leadership Group.
- Work closely with the FIR Employer Leadership Group to gain consensus on the work programme and to understand and support their needs.
- Track progress and activity of individuals and companies that have engaged with the FIR Programme and act to increase participation if required (e.g. through active calling) and to help people continue their learning journey.
- Write reports and case studies, meeting preparation, follow up on actions and some other administrative duties.
- Ensure the business plan and CITB deliverables are met on a quarterly and annual basis.
- Work closely with the chair of the Employer Leadership Group and CECA manager to drive the agenda and deliver against the agreed business plans with the leadership group.
- Manage costs and income and ensure delivery on budget.
- Work with the Project Director to identify and secure future project income.
- Responsible for daily management of Marketing & Events Officer to include:
- Alongside the Marketing Manager, ensure that marketing campaigns are kept up to date and are carried out to meet target within sector.
- Daily management of direct report.
- Identify any training and development needs and conducting the appraisal and personal development review.
A mix of project management, marketing and commercial skills will be required for the successful applicant, specifically:
- Ability to engage meaningfully with colleagues and stakeholders, understand and assess their views and build a consensus.
- Takes on full ownership and responsibility to deliver against target, solve problems and manage workload proactively.
- Experienced in managing projects with multiple stakeholders.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritise in a busy environment.
- Thorough understanding and use of website content and email marketing platforms.
- Ability to analyse and interpret data with a range of digital marketing tools and advice on solutions.
- Ability to communicate clearly in both verbal and written form, with excellent presentation skills.
- Good organisational skills with attention to detail and ability to work in a flexible and creative way.
Other skills, knowledge & experience
Applicants should have the following criteria:
- Significant experience in managing large or complex business projects
- Track record of managing and influencing multiple stakeholders
- Good understanding of budget management
- At least 3 years working in a commercial environment
- Proactive approach – a “can do” attitude and proven ability to make things happen
- Passion for sustainability
- Understanding of the construction industry
- Line management experience
- Experience in the development of learning courses and materials
- Supply Chain Sustainability School Project Manager and FIR Programme Director
- Degree educated or equivalent industry experience
Terms and conditions
- Salary: £40,000
- Holidays: 25 days plus 8 statutory holidays plus 1 day for birthday
- Other benefits: 8% contribution to pension
- Location: The role will be based in our London office, (Angel tube Station)
- Development: We offer the opportunity to grow in this award-winning consultancy with the support of leading experts and innovative new practices.
- Flexible working: We encourage flexible working and as such this role can be applied for as either a full-time or part-time role (equivalent to 3 days a week).
Who we are
Action Sustainability is a leading consultancy, founded in 2006, with the aim of leading and inspiring sustainable business. Our UK team currently comprises around 30 employees and associates, based around England and in Canada. Notable successes:
- Established, in 2013, and now deliver, the award-winning Supply Chain Sustainability School, including the industry-leading Fairness, Inclusion & Respect (FIR) Programme
- Launched, in 2014, and support our clients to use, our Sustainability Tool
- Authored the ISO 20400 Standard for Sustainable Procurement and are now leading global adoption through our social enterprise arm, Action Sustainability CIC and iso20400.org, and our commercial consultancy services
- Provide bespoke, specialist business advice, training, and practical tools to leading organisations such as Siemens, the Houses of Parliament, Warwick University, the NHS and British Land
- Many of our clients are leaders in their sectors on sustainability and supply chain issues and we are proud of our reputation for leading the thinking in this area.
- We have an Action Sustainability office and a Supply Chain Sustainability School in Australia.
Action Sustainability is certified by the Living Wage Foundation as an accredited Living Wage employer. We support our people to work flexibly and maintain a work-life balance, within the context of delivering a responsive and high-quality service to clients and School Partners. We are committed to maintaining a respectful and inclusive workplace culture.
For more information about our forward-looking company, go to www.supplychainschool.co.uk/FIR or explore this site www.actionsustainability.com
Interested in this role? Apply here.
Back to vacancies