Action Sustainability drives real, sustainable change with its clients. In particular, we undertake a large number of projects on behalf of clients in the construction sector that seek to inspire and deliver a more sustainable built environment.
We are looking for Sustainability Consultant who has a passion for sustainability and making a difference. Do you have a track record of managing and delivering complex sustainability projects for clients? Do you enjoy stakeholder engagement as part of effecting a change? Can you see the bigger picture whilst maintaining an eye for the detail? If yes, then we would love to hear from you.
We welcome applications from all people with relevant skills, knowledge and experience, including those from diverse backgrounds currently under-represented in sustainability and project management
Purpose of the job
- Manage a portfolio of client sustainability projects, acting as project manager, whilst also delivering aspects of the technical work, as appropriate to your existing sustainability knowledge, skills and experience; our projects cover the remit of sustainability, from social value and modern slavery to sustainable procurement and carbon
- Working on a range of projects to help drive a more sustainable built environment. One specific project is to help the sector transform its approach to construction by building more offsite. This approach has proven to deliver buildings using less materials, producing less waste and that use less carbon over their whole life
- Support the Supply Chain Sustainability School with its delivery of sustainability learning content across its platform and face-to-face engagements
- Contribute to business development; identifying and working up leads for new work alongside the Lead Consultants and Directors at Action Sustainability
- This is a new role within Action Sustainability.
- James Cadman, Lead Consultant, will provide formal line management. Dotted line management will be provided by whichever Director, Lead Consultant or Consultant leads the relationship with the client or School Partner with whom the role is working.
- Manage projects on behalf of Action Sustainability and the client that are delivered:
- To high standards of quality that meet or exceed client expectations
- To time and budget in accordance with our business planning
- In a way that allows for follow-on work and a growing relationship with the client wherever possible
- In particular you will be managing a new project for the Construction Industry Training Board (CITB) on delivering learning and sector engagement to implement a greater uptake of offsite manufacturing in the construction sector. This will involve client and sector stakeholder engagement, working with industry experts and managing the delivery of set of learning materials and activities
- Provide specialist, technical sustainability advice into client projects that aligns to and complements our current service offerings of sustainability strategy, sustainable procurement and supply chains, social value, EDI, modern slavery, sustainability measurement and carbon
- Work with colleagues in the delivery of the Supply Chain Sustainability School to help with the delivery of its programme of sustainability learning across its online platform and face-to-face engagements. This will include content development and facilitating workshops
- Identify opportunities to win and deliver consultancy work to existing and new clients, including developing proposals and engaging clients, with support from the team.
- Work as a core part of our consultancy and School team:
- working, at all times, within our framework of Action Sustainability behaviours
- connecting into the specialist knowledge and experience of other team members
- sharing your knowledge and experience with other team members
- developing your own sustainability knowledge and skills
- providing material and advice to support School and consultancy marketing and sales activity and training development
Skills, knowledge and experience
Applicants should demonstrate the following skills:
- Experience of working within the construction sector and a clear understanding of the interactions between clients, contractors, designers and the supply chain
- Demonstrable sustainability experience, knowledge and skills, ideally within one or more of: sustainable supply chains/sustainable procurement; environmental impacts such as resource efficiency or carbon; social value; modern slavery; equality, diversity and inclusion
- Proven stakeholder engagement and management skills
- Managing corporate projects with a strong digital emphasis and/or related to learning management systems
- Highly organised with a good attention to detail
- Strong numeracy skills
- Writing reports to meet client and colleague needs
- Communicating clearly, in English, in both verbal and written form
- Working effectively both as part of a team and autonomously as the need arises, taking on ownership and responsibility for delivery as appropriate
- Having a ‘can do’ attitude and being willing to continuously improve
- Applicants may be educated to UK degree level or equivalent (NVQ level 6) or have equivalent experience, skills and knowledge.
Terms and conditions
- Salary: £40,000
- Holidays: 25 days plus 8 statutory holidays plus 1 day for birthday
- Other benefits: 8% employer contribution to pension
- Location: The role will be based in our London office, (Angel tube station)
- Flexible working: Considered
- Development: We offer the opportunity to grow in this award-winning consultancy with the support of leading experts and innovative new practices.
- Applicants who need adjustments to apply for this role should email firstname.lastname@example.org, providing a telephone number at which they can be contacted.
Who we are
Action Sustainability is a leading consultancy, founded in 2006, with the aim of leading and inspiring sustainable business. Our UK team currently comprises around 30 full and part time employees and associates, based around England and in Canada. Notable successes:
- Established, in 2012, and now deliver, the award-winning Supply Chain Sustainability School, including the industry-leading Fairness, Inclusion & Respect (FIR) programme
- Launched in 2014, and support our clients to use, our Sustainability Tool for reporting
- Led the UK and Australian delegations in developing the ISO 20400 Standard for Sustainable Procurement and chaired the editorial committee. We now lead global adoption through our commercial consultancy services and our social enterprise arm
- Provide bespoke, specialist business advice, training, and practical tools to leading organisations such as Siemens, Houses of Parliament, Suez, the NHS and British Land
- Many of our clients are leaders in their sectors on sustainability and supply chain issues and we are proud of our reputation for leading the thinking in this area.
- We have an Action Sustainability office and a Supply Chain Sustainability School in Australia.
Our mission is to inspire sustainable business through action.
- We inspire – through our social enterprise company we push the boundaries of best practice by setting new standards, researching and disseminating new knowledge.
- We lead – we lead collaborative groups of businesses to develop the capacity of their supply chains, like our award winning Supply Chain Sustainability School.
- We advise – we work with organisations who aspire to best practice, we are the advisers of choice for many clients around the world.
- We train – we offer a range of training options from traditional classroom training to e-learning and other web based solutions.
- We measure – our innovative software package enables organisations to manage the sustainability performance of our clients’ supply chains. Unlike the numerous rating tools on the market, this package measures performance not practice.
- We verify – we evaluate sustainability in businesses, in buildings and in supply chains using leading international and national standards.
We are certified as an accredited Living Wage employer. We support our people to work flexibly and maintain a work-life balance, within the context of delivering a responsive and high quality service to clients and School Partners. We are committed to maintaining a respectful and inclusive workplace culture.
Interested? Apply here with your covering letter and CV.
Back to vacancies