Action Sustainability drives real, sustainable change with its clients. In particular, we undertake a large number of projects on behalf of clients in the construction sector that seek to inspire and deliver a more sustainable built environment. We are looking for a Sustainability Consultant Researcher who has a passion for sustainability and making a difference. Do you have experience of working in sustainability? Do you enjoy working and engaging with people as part of effecting a change? Can you see the bigger picture whilst maintaining an eye for the detail? If yes, then we would love to hear from you.
We welcome applications from all people with relevant skills, knowledge and experience, including those from diverse backgrounds currently under-represented in sustainability and project management.
Purpose of the job
- Work on a variety of sustainability projects for different clients providing sustainability input and support to the project manager in delivering the outcomes and outputs for the client
- Undertake research tasks to gather information, data and stakeholder opinion and then to manipulate, assess and interpret this information to feed into the projects, as necessary
- Support project managers in interacting with clients, engaging stakeholders, and assist in arranging and running meetings
- Grow your sustainability knowledge and experience through the projects you undertake alongside suitable and relevant training
- Support the Supply Chain Sustainability School with its delivery of sustainability learning content across its platform and face-to-face engagements
- Help the sector transform its approach to construction by building more offsite (i.e. in a manufacturing context rather than directly on the building site), through one specific project. This approach has proven to deliver buildings using less materials, producing less waste and that use less carbon over their whole life
- This is a new role within Action Sustainability.
- James Cadman, Lead Consultant, will provide formal line management.
- You will be managed on a day-to-day basis by the relevant project manager of the projects you are working on.
- Provide research and data analysis input on sustainability issues into client projects to a high quality, accurately and in a timely fashion, according to project schedule.
- Work closely with project managers to deliver the work plan for projects and assist in client and stakeholder engagement to ensure client satisfaction;
- Develop sustainability learning materials including workshop content, e-learning, videos, etc.
- Have self-starter initiative to grow and improve your own sustainability knowledge and skills through self-led reading, engaging with colleagues and identifying training opportunities;
- Work with colleagues in the delivery of the Supply Chain Sustainability School to help with the delivery of its programme of sustainability learning across its online platform and face-to-face engagements.
- Work as a core part of our consultancy and School team:
- working, at all times, within our framework of Action Sustainability behaviours
- connecting into the specialist knowledge and experience of other team members
- sharing your knowledge and experience with other team members
- developing your own sustainability knowledge and skills
Required skills, knowledge & experience
- Demonstrable sustainability knowledge, ideally within one or more of: sustainable supply chains/ sustainable procurement; environmental impacts such as resource efficiency or carbon; social value; modern slavery; equality, diversity and inclusion. Experience in working on projects in these areas is ideal but not expected.
- Good communication skills and an ability to engage stakeholders and see their point of view
- Highly organised with a good attention to detail
- Strong numeracy and data analysis skills
- Writing reports to meet client and colleague needs
- Communicating clearly, in English, in both verbal and written form
- Working effectively both as part of a team and autonomously as the need arises, taking on ownership and responsibility for your own delivery
- Having a ‘can do’ attitude and being willing to learn and continuously improve
Applicants may be educated to UK degree level or equivalent (NVQ level 6) or have equivalent experience, skills and knowledge.
Terms and conditions
- Salary: £26,000 – £30,000
- Holidays: 25 days plus 8 statutory holidays plus 1 day for birthday
- Other benefits: 8% employer contribution to pension
- Location: The role will be based in our London office (Angel tube station)
- Flexible working: Considered
- Development: We offer the opportunity to grow in this award-winning consultancy with the support of leading experts and innovative new practices
Applicants who need adjustments to apply for this role should email email@example.com providing a telephone number at which they can be contacted.
Who we are
Action Sustainability is a leading consultancy, founded in 2006, with the aim of leading and inspiring sustainable business. Our UK team currently comprises around 30 full and part time employees and associates, based around England and in Canada. Notable successes:
- Established, in 2012, and now deliver, the award-winning Supply Chain Sustainability School, including the industry-leading Fairness, Inclusion & Respect (FIR) programme
- Launched in 2014, and support our clients to use, our Sustainability Tool for reporting
- Led the UK and Australian delegations in developing the ISO 20400 Standard for Sustainable Procurement and chaired the editorial committee. We now lead global adoption through our commercial consultancy services and our social enterprise arm
- Provide bespoke, specialist business advice, training, and practical tools to leading organisations such as Siemens, Houses of Parliament, Suez, the NHS and British Land
- Many of our clients are leaders in their sectors on sustainability and supply chain issues and we are proud of our reputation for leading the thinking in this area.
- We have an Action Sustainability office and a Supply Chain Sustainability School in Australia.
Our mission is to inspire sustainable business through action.
- We inspire – through our social enterprise company we push the boundaries of best practice by setting new standards, researching and disseminating new knowledge.
- We lead – we lead collaborative groups of businesses to develop the capacity of their supply chains, like our award winning Supply Chain Sustainability School.
- We advise – we work with organisations who aspire to best practice, we are the advisers of choice for many clients around the world.
- We train – we offer a range of training options from traditional classroom training to e-learning and other web based solutions.
- We measure – our innovative software package enables organisations to manage the sustainability performance of our clients’ supply chains. Unlike the numerous rating tools on the market, this package measures performance not practice.
- We verify – we evaluate sustainability in businesses, in buildings and in supply chains using leading international and national standards.
We are certified as an accredited Living Wage employer. We support our people to work flexibly and maintain a work-life balance, within the context of delivering a responsive and high quality service to clients and School Partners. We are committed to maintaining a respectful and inclusive workplace culture.
Interested? Apply here with your covering letter and CV.
Back to vacancies